Saturday, November 21, 2009

MUSE: The Resistance (Part 5: Guiding Light)


Guiding Light (4:13)

This one took a few plays, but it was not too long before I decided this is one of my favorites. I must admit, the DVD footage of the making of this song helped sway my vote, but that's not bad thing. Sometimes it takes the visual realization of what magic is taking place to make songs work that influence the listeners decision to foster a love (or hate) relationship with the piece. Regardless of how, or how long, "Guiding Light" is a lover.

A strong, yet simple love song, Guiding Light opens with the ending of "United States of Eurasia" (you may remember the fading jet-like sound I mentioned previously), and dives right into ballad-like drums, and powerful synth. Bellamy's vocals slowly swoon a bit of heartache and a lot of passion, coupled with lyrics such as,

"Loved by numbers
you're losing life's wonder
touch like strangers; detached
I can't feel you anymore
The sunshine trapped in our hearts
it could rise again
but I'm lost, crushed, cold and confused
with no guiding light left inside"

Gosh, excuse me while I melt? You realize, again, how much you love this song the more you listen, and even more each time you read/sing his lyrics.

Back to the review...

About 2 minuets in, Bellamy "ooo's" his way into his one-of-a-king guitar solo, which is the point in the video that I realized this song is over the top wonderful. Seeing Matt play this solo is a bit of a jaw dropper, as you can even see in his face. The man has all sorts of talent, mixed in with great lyrics, emotional vocals, and, of course, Dom and Chris's extraordinary input. The baseline is catchy, and though the drums are steady and continuous, Guiding Light wouldn't be the song it is without them.



"When comfort and warmth can't be found I still reach for you
but I'm lost, crushed, cold and confused with no guiding light left inside"

"You're my guiding light
when there's no guiding light left inside"


Side note: The DVD footage also shows you how dedicated these guys are to perfecting their work. Rigorous discussion over how to strum the bass? Serious business to be had!


Did it take warming up? Yes.
Is it possible to get sick of? Nope.
Once you're in, there's no escaping, my friends. This is one for the lovers.


5/5

This is the DVD footage that sucked me in. Good luck ~Resisting (Nerd.)


No comments: