Monday, March 22, 2010

What WAS I waiting for?

Yes, I realize I've fallen behind. I mean, this must be true considering I am JUST NOW hearing "Animal" by Neon Trees for the first time. But alas, I have heard, I continue to listen, and I review.

I like it. I like it quite a huge bit.





I'm listening to it only for the second time as I write this very sentence, but it's already got a hold of these ears. It's catchy and it's fun, full of synthy goodness, new wave drum beats, and continuous running bass riffs. Tyler Glenn (lead vocals, keys) channels in a mixture of Rufus Wainwright and Aswan North (lead vocalist of Paper Tongues), showing off his wide range as he belts out "Oh, oh, what are you waiting for!" from the chorus. Surely this mixture of sound defines the direction in which new alt-rock is (hopefully) heading.

And the lyrics? Well haven't we all been through that time in life when we wanted someone just out of reach? But this time...hell, we are going for it! Here, it is expressed clever, concrete imagery and spirals in the music:



Here we are again/I feel the chemicals kicking in/
It's getting heavy and I want run and hide/I want to run and hide

I do it every time/You're killing me now/and i won't be denied by you/
The animal inside of you




Makes me all gitty inside! Perhaps this love will fade, but for now I'm going to enjoy this little burst of energy.

You should to. It's free this week on iTunes. Or I guess you could just watch here:

No comments: